Located in the former chapel of St. Catherine of Alexandria from Port de Sóller, the only natural harbor on the Sierra de Tramontana and for centuries the only marketing route for the people of Soller. The building was built around 1280 and has experienced numerous episodes of destruction, reconstruction and epidemics.
It was used as a leper colony and hospital, still occupied by the Admiralty during the Spanish Civil War. After a period of neglect itwas transferred to the City of Soller, which conducted a comprehensive restoration process in 2004 to turn it into a thematic marine museum. Its rooms tells the gripping story of this seafaring people through ancient naval pieces, fishing-related items, model ships, historical photographs, documents, etc..
The museum is currently closed (possibly open in a few months), but hosts concerts and serves as headquarters of the Classical Music Festival Port de Sóller.